Your Book of Shadows (or Grimoire) is the most important tool in a witch's kit. It is a safe space to record your deepest thoughts and strongest intentions.
"This is your spellbook. Your friend. The keeper of your magic."
In here you will record your:
- & More
Occultish has partnered with Julia from @_witchy_juju to create these free downloadable pages which you can use for the first pages of your BOS. As well as your new syllabus for witch school.
Over the next few weeks, we will dive deeper into all of these concepts, ideas, and practices together. But please feel free to research at your own pace and keep your own notes.
Book of Shadows Starter Kit
How to Make a Book of Shadows
There is no wrong way to make a Book of Shadows.
In your BOS, we will be able to track and record all of the lessons and course work we cover.
How to Make Your First Book of Shadows
1. Get a notebook
Different Page Ideas
- Cover Page
- Table of Contents
- Witch's Guide
- 13 Goals of a Witch
- Tools of the Craft
- Simple Altar Layout
- Earth, Air, Fire, Water - Elemental Wheel
- Moon Phases
- Journal Entries
- Symbols, Sigils & Signs
- Tarot Card Readings
- Birth Chart
2. Write Your Name & Your First Spell
"As above, so below
Protect this book from wicked foe
Elements of earth, wind, water and fire
Fill this book with love and laughter.
Ancestors ancient and witches of olde
Help this witch achieve my goals.
As above, so below
Please protect me from things I don't know.This book is mineknowledge i built.That it harm none,do as thou wilt.
So Mote it be."
3. Topics of Interest
Organizing Your Spells, Rituals and Recipes can be complicated so you will want to plan the organization of your book before you get started documenting your journey into the magic arts.
Simple chronological marking or color-coding may do the trick for you, but for the more organized witch, dividing pages to make a table of contents might be the way to go.
After you create your pages, note the page numbers next to the topics in your table of contents. You can also add an index at the end of your book.
4. Decorate!This is my favorite part.
- Sew a charm into the book spine
- Glue a collage of your favorite pictures to the front cover
- Draw different symbols, signs or pictures that identify with you
- Take as long as you need to start customizing your book of shadows.
Now that your BOS is decorated, planned and protected. It is time to officially complete the seal and cleanse your new spellbook.
Book of Shadows Cleansing Ritual
- Clear a space mentally and physically
- Grab a candle or a smudge stick or your favorite crystal. (Or all three)
- Lay your book on top of a piece of cloth
- (scarves, blankets, and tapestries will all work fine)
- Light your candle / smudge stick
- Arranging your items on your altar
- Open to the first page
- Rest your hand on top of your spellbook
- Recite the opening incantation that you wrote in step 2
- Reflect on what you want to achieve with your spiritual practice and the types of energy you want to call into your life
- Say (or think) any closing words or intentions that you have
- Blow out your candles and clean up your space
6. Start Researching
- Paths of Witchcraft
- Moon Cycles
- Altar Layouts
- Casting a Circle
- Five Elements
- Spirit Animals
- History & Lore
- Shadow Work
- Runes & Sigils
- Candle Magic
- Types of Witches
Continuing Your Witchcraft Training!
- Go out and explore the world first hand.
- Take notes on everything
- Be curious
- Spark the magical flame inside you
- Learn from the natural order
Time to Get Witchy!
Download the Book of Shadows Starter Kit
Occultish has partnered with Julia from @_witchy_juju to provide you all with a downloadable and printable Book of Shadows complete with common pages, reusable templates and spells. These are great for people that want to create a beautiful and functional BOS from an experienced and very talented witch.
First time here?
Please e-mail any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org